Sunday, February 16, 2014

Review Time #3: John Green (The Fault In Our Stars and Will Grayson, Will Grayson)

 John Green :)


Yesterday I went to Barnes and Nobles, the well-renowned bookstore that I'm sure you know about, to buy a copy of Will Grayson, Will Grayson, and I had a little epiphany: sitting on the shelves are tons and tons of books, written by tons and tons of authors that I know nothing about. I've only seen five authors that I know of out of hundreds of others. Why aren't these others known? That was sort of pointless and probably not classified as an epiphany, but whatever. My point is, John Green stands out upon those tons and tons of unknown authors. He is like the king of authors. Kids, teens, and adults everywhere have heard of him. The Fault in Our Stars, Will Grayson, Will Grayson, An Abundance of Katherines, Paper Towns, Looking For Alaska- do any of these sound familiar to you? Probably. Just one little thing I'm going to say before you read my long awaited entry- if you're not in middle school or under twelve, I'd probably refrain from reading these books until you're a bit older. It's just that although The Fault in Our Stars is amazing, it is 1) a bit innapro-pro, and 2) really depressing and overwhelming. And besides the great quality writing of  Will Grayson, Will Grayson, there is A MOTHER-FATHER load of cursing in this book. I know you hate a long "foreword" (as do I),  but just one tiny thing- as I said, I bought Will Grayson, Will Grayson only yesterday, so for the summary I'm just going to take it straight from the blurb. 


The Fault In Our Stars

Summary Hazel Grace Lancaster, a sixteen year old with cancer is forced to go to some support group in her church for other teens with cancer. Everything's boring and dreary. Until she sees Augustus Waters, who's half leg is covered by his dark denim jeans. He's so cool and different and... unique. Their relationship is adorable: they tell each other everything. Until something goes horribly wrong. The two stick together until the end. Okay? Okay. (Don't worry, you'll understand the "Okay" thing when you read the book. Sorry for the short summary, if I tell more I'll give everything away.)

You would like this if you've read Ways to Live Forever,  Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend

Good for ages 12+... maybe older, it depends on your "reading standards." Like I said before, although it is amazing, it's very overwhelming and for some people, depressing.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Will Grayson, Will Grayson

Summary ***From the blurb on the back of the book***  Will Grayson, meet Will Grayson. One cold night, in a most unlikely corner of Chicago, two strangers cross paths. Two teens with the same name, running in two very different circles, suddenly find their lives going in new and unexpected directions, culminating in heroic turns-of-heart and the most epic musical ever to grace the high school stage.

You would like this if you've read Invisibility, Things Not Seen, or if you watched Mean Girls

Good for ages 14+. Normally I'd say 13 or maybe even 12, but there is a LOAD of cursing in this book.







4 comments: