Friday, February 14, 2014

All Hail Giraffy

I hate drama, and I try to avoid it most of the time. However, I was quite the diva in my third grade years. It was the most dramatic - and overdramatic - year of my life, I'd say. And the funny thing was, it was revolved around the STUPIDEST things. For example, Giraffy.

Oooooohhhh, Giraffy.

Here's the story, beginning to end. Or end to beginning…
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alexandria, Bri-Bri, Emmie, and I stand over his grave. As the wind brushed our hair into our faces, our mouths turn up by the corners in something of a smile; a solemn smile. The cool spring air chills our skin, but the rays of the sun warms our faces. He is gone now. Forever.
   Wait, that kid over there is digging him up with a freakin' stick. A STICK.
   After we move his grave, we all sigh in relief. This whole thing is finally over. Giraffy is gone. The thing that started the biggest fight ever is finally, finally... gone.

---
Mr. M plops down in his usual chair, the one he sits in every day. After copying down our homework in our PLANNERS- yes, we're big enough to need those, now- we run over happily to the rug to listen to what he has to say about our plans for the day. He has a big smile plastered on his face has he reaches for the cup on the counter that serves as a pen holder. There's a figure in the cup that's... not a pen. He takes the figure out.
   It's a toy!
   "Hey, guys. Look at this cool new guy I got! He's a giraffe. I'm just gonna leave him here in the pen holder so you can play with him at free choice."
   We all silently cheer. Except for one or two kids, of course; the troublemakers. Our shoulders slump as Mr. M goes on- the schedule. As he discusses our math plans, I can't help but zone out. This multiplication unit is so easy, I think. Hey, I wonder where Mr. M got the giraffe toy! Maybe I could get one, too.
   I am snapped out of my world of thoughts- literally, SNAPPED out of it- when Alexandria waves her fingers in my face. "El. El. El?"
   "What? Oh. Thanks, Al."
   Besides Alexandria and I, all the other kids are seated at their desks while Mr. M turns on the SmartBoard. What's so smart about it anyway? I randomly think as I join the kids at my table. We were going to be learning multiplication. Judging from the looks on my classmates faces, they aren't too hyped up about it, too.
   At least recess was soon.

The next day, Alexandria looks extremely happy, which I find odd because it's practically pouring outside. I shudder when a draft of cold air from the air-conditioned hallway enters the classroom as she opens the door. The weather outside is definitely not pleasant today.
   "Hey, guys," Alexandria says to Emmie, Bri-Bri, Evalina, and I. "Guess what I got?"
   "What?" we all say in unison.
   "A giraffe, just like Mr. M has. has. And I'm naming him Giraffy."

---

And that's really where I'm going to end, because I don't feel like continuing this anymore. Basically what happened was Emmie, Bri-Bri, Alexandria and I got in this giant fight about how Alexandria and Bri-Bri were making too big a deal about Giraffy, then they got more of them. Emmie couldn't stand the drama, and I just fought with them more about how silly it is. Then "sides" formed, and Bri-Bri and I formed a side againts Alexandria and Emmie. Then Alexandria and I wrote poems in our notebooks to each other while we weren't talking. Dramatic poems that I will include in my next entry. All in all, we basically hated each other until late spring.

And now we're all friends. HOORAH!

4 comments:

  1. WAHT I WAS SUPPOSED TO BE AT THAT FUNERAL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol i also knew giraffie!!!!! xd no biggy, u didn't have to put me in!

    ReplyDelete