Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Random Entry #1: Untitled Story :(

This is a short story I wrote in third grade. It’s a bit creepy, actually; too weird for a third grader. But that’s me- I’m weird.

“AAAAAAAAAGGGH!!!” This is the word I said before I was about to come to a slow, painful death. I ran down the streets like an alley cat, nearly starving. She took out the knife and threw it at me- I think you should stop reading. But if you chose not to, you’re lucky, because it doesn’t start out that way. So, here it goes.
---
I said, “Thanks for the ride, Nancy!” I ran into the museum and took out my notebook. Nancy had told me there was a time machine exhibit. I don’t exactly believe in time travel, but I just wanted to see if she was right. I took a deep breath, and muttered to myself, “This is all for you, Nancy.”
I walked past the coat check (because I didn’t have a coat) and asked the security guard, “Excuse me Sir, but do you happen to know where the time machine is?”
There was a pause, and then he laughed as I felt myself blush. “Kid, I don’t know who you think you are, but you have a VERY creative mind. Listen, we’re closing in fifteen minutes, so you might as well leave soon. Have a nice weekend, and enjoy the rest of your stay at the County Museum.” 
I reached out of my bag and got out my cell phone. I dialed, “beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep,” and called Nancy.
“Hello, Nancy Jeanling speaking? Oh, hi, Joanne!” I rolled my eyes.
“Nance, enough of this nonsense. Where’s the time machine?”
“Follow my instructions exactly.”
“Okay.”
“Hide, then wait till the exhibits are closed.”
“Hide? Why hide?”
“Just trust me. Gotta go. Took extra classes.”
“Wait. Nancy. What-?” she hung up on me. Great. Now I didn’t know what to do. Suddenly, I heard a click, and everything went pitch black. I was confused. Wait till the exhibits are over, Nancy had said. Then a strange object appeared in the darkness. 
“What are you? Show your face! Don’t hurt me!” I stammered, defending my self weakly with my arms. The strange object turned on a flashlight to show his face. He was about two feet shorter than me, but seemed almost twenty-five years older. He had a short brown beard, with the same color hair on his head. He took my hand and pulled me into an odd device. I let out a terrified shriek. 
“There’s no reason to scream,” he said. “The museum is closed.”
He pulled a lever and we went swirling around and around. I was screaming, but he was laughing. We swirled around, and I felt sick. We were going about 90 miles per hour! I fainted, and the dizzy, spinning world turned pitch black.
---
When I woke up, the machine must have stopped spinning, because we landed. The world was still spinning, but now it was mild. “Hey, person!” I said, referring to the man who was now gone. Wait- gone! I pulled the lever, willing to go back to the museum, but it didn’t budge. I walked out. The sky was black. People were coughing and desperately working for money. Pollution was everywhere, and a woman walked up to me and hugged me. I pulled back and turned around to hear her voice: 
“I’m Joanne from the future.”
---
I roamed back and forth around her apartment. I had lots and lots of questions for her- well, me.
“Why do you stand on that thing?” I asked. “What do you do for a living? Who is your husband? Why do have long hair? Why do you have different shaped glasses? Do you have kids? Why-” she cut me off. 
“Honey!” Joanne From the Future said. “Calm down! But if you insist, I’ll answer your questions. Of course I stand on that thing, it’s the future! I am a model. I have long hair because in your early twenties you decided to grow out your hair. You were bored of your glasses tyle. I am married to Jake Pillington. I don’t have kids. What else were you going to ask?”
I sighed. “How do you know me? I mean, not you-me, but me-me? Like, ME? Oh, and why is it so disgusting here?”
She paused. After the long silence, she replied, “Everyone knows you. They depend on you to save the future. See, after your father died, well-” tears swelled up in her eyes. “The world became a terrible place. That’s why it’s up to you to save it. In your world, he will die in about a week- and you will have six days to save the future. Then, you must go back to the time machine. If you do not make it, the world will be stuck like this forever.” I stared at her, and almost started bawling when I learned that Dad would die?!?! But what interrupted me was when a man floated in and kissed (the other) Joanne on the cheek. 
“Jake?” I said. And then it hit me. I knew him! “Jake Pillington! Yesterday we had a spitball fight! I won, but since I went home covered in spitballs, my mom called your mom.” It was true, but it was not pretty.
“I don’t know who this girl is,” said Jake. “But I want revenge! Joanne, hand me a straw.” She rolled her eyes, and said, “Honey, that’s Joanne from the past!”
He stopped. “Oh,” he said. “By the way, next week, we’re going to go on a date.” Then he walked away. I shuddered.
“A date?” I said. “With my worst enemy? Ew.”
---
“But you are my worst enemy. How would you know that I was going to come?” I aksed, forgetting that we were in the future.
“Sweetie,” said Joanne From the Future. “You are in the future. Think about it. I am you, and I remember all of the adventures that I- or you- have been through. Including this adventure. So of course I told Jake everything, and he knew you were going to come. Sweetie? Earth to Joanne?” she said, waving her hand in front of my face. I turned my head to her, and I said, “I’m confused.”
---
“Okay, Joanne, do you get what you have to do? Go to the first tree you see, press the button, slide down, and Klaude will tell you what to do. When you are done for today, go back to Klaude, sign out, and come back to my place. By the way, Klaude will give you the floaty thing to stand on that I do, and- good luck,” said Joanne From the Future. She hugged me and kissed my forehead and Jake waved to me, but I just stuck my tongue out to him. 
“Bye, Joanne!” I said, and left for my adventure.
---
I looked around the area. “First tree you see, first tree you see...” I muttered, trying to brainwash myself. But I was so busy brainwashing myself, that I bumped into a tree... the first tree I saw! I searched for the button, but I didn’t see anything but a tiny bump on the tree. I tried pressing it and it made a “DING!” sound an elevator makes right before it opens. 
“I wonder what Joanne meant by sliding down the tree... AAAAAHHHHH!” I said to myself, coming to a rather frightening scream. I realized what she meant by slide down the tree. I was simultaniously sliding down a sleep slide while screaming!


And that’s it. That’s the end of the story. Rather than going for a kind of suspenseful ending and leaving the reader with a question, I honestly think that I was just too lazy to finish. And if I know myself well enough, I’m right. I’m just a lazy person.
There were some spelling errors in the story, but I feel that defeats the purpose. (In case you’re interested, I said “enimie” three times.)
But you don’t care.


2 comments:

  1. Hi! I got to this blog through Pheobe's blog and it's so awesome! Thanks for making it, because I love reading it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you know Phoebe? thanks so much! I love your blog too.

      Delete