Thursday, June 19, 2014

Fluffy the Cat

Naturally, my childhood dream was to get a pet. In late spring during my sixth year on planet Earth, my parents and I had discussed getting a dog. I even took a poll among my classroom. Some of the names were very Beatles inspired. The names were Penny, Penny Lane, Lucy, and Molly. Molly was my favorite name, so when I saw that Penny was in the lead, I MAY HAVE added on about six votes to Molly's name.

Soon after the poll, my best friend Sarah told me something LIFE CHANGING (cue scary DUN DUN DUN Music)...

She would be getting a cat.

"We're going to the shelter after school!" Was the first thing I heard.
"The shelter was so cool! We saw this really fluffy cat... he was SO cute!!!!" spiraled my jealousy.
"Mommy and me are going back to the shelter today. We're getting that fluffy cat!!! What should I name him? Fluffy!" such a cute name, I thought.
And finally, the dreaded... "We got Fluffy!"

My jealousy was eating me alive. Sarah told me lots about her adorable cat fluffy. I longed to meet/own this cat. Then some depressing news came...
Fluffy had passed away.

I went home that day and told my Mom.
"Mommy, Sarah's new cat died," I said as I put my finished cup of milk in the sink.
"That's a shame," she replied. "Already? Didn't she just get him, like, three days ago, though?"
"That's what I asked. She told me that it was because they got him at a shelter when he was super-duper old."
"Oh," Mom said, and went upstairs to do some work.

My mother used to not work Thursdays and Fridays, so sometimes she picked me up from Kindergarten at the end of the day. Not long after the Unfortunate Passing, she saw Sarah at Pickup Time. "I'm sorry about Fluffy, Sarah," Mom said. A puzzled look formed on Sarah's face. "Fluffy? Oh! Fluffy."

Yup. Turns out Sarah made up Fluffy.
And now we are still friends!!! MIND BLOWN! It was a great injustice though. Sarah, I will now throw eggs at Monica's ugly green car.

-In memory of Fluffy

No comments:

Post a Comment